Are you looking for some new and fun recipes to try this year? Check out our blog every month for one brand new recipe to try. We will share 12 recipes we think you and your family will enjoy this year that may be a little outside of you normal routine.
This month we are sharing a fun recipe that you may not have been brave enough to try before. Chicken and waffles. It sounds delicious, but also a little out of the norm, so you may have been hesitant to try it. But now is the time to hop off the fence and try it.
Chicken and Waffles
Serves 4 to 6
8 cups water
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon black pepper corns
10 sprigs thyme
10 sage leaves
2 bay leaves
6 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
juice 2 lemons
rind of 1 lemon
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
peanut oil for frying
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups whole milk
2 large eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
pads of softened butter
1. For fried chicken: Place water, salt and honey into a pot and simmer until salt and honey dissolves. Stir in remaining ingredients and cool completely. Add 4 cups ice to mixture and add chicken. Brine chicken for 10 to 12 hours. Remove drumsticks from brine and completely pat dry.
2. Pour peanut oil into a cast iron skillet, 2 inches high, and preheat over medium heat.
3. Place flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and smoked paprika in a shallow dish and whisk together. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish and dredge drumsticks in flour mixture. Shake access flour off chicken and dip in buttermilk. Repeat by dipping in the flour mixture followed by the buttermilk and the flour mixture again. Carefully drop coated drumsticks into the hot oil and fry on each side for 10 to 12 minutes or until skin has turned golden brown and chicken is cooked through. (juices should run clear when cut into). Drain into paper towels and lightly season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with waffles.
4. For waffles: Preheat waffle iron to medium heat.
5. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add remaining ingredients and stir together with a fork until fully incorporated and no dry spots remain.
6. Lightly spray the well of the waffle iron with cooking spray and pour 1/3 cup of batter into the center of the well. Gently close the lid and cook until golden brown. Serve immediately.