Most kids love fruit snacks. Fruit rolls and fruit roll ups are a child’s Bestfriend. But those sugary sweets can be hazardous on the teeth, and the bank account. Those sweet snacks may taste great but the character themed boxes and treats can be pricey. While our kids may love them they are really not always high on the nutrition scale. So it isn’t surprising that some parents are looking for healthier alternatives. But even health food stores fruit leather version can be rather pricey. So why not try to make your own fruit leather. With a great recipe and a few ingredients it isn’t a difficult job.
Thanks to this great recipe from Georgia Pellegrini. Georgia Pellegrini is a self- proclaimed food wanderer. Finding and making the best foods and recipes all over the world and blogging about them. She has attended some of the greatest culinary institutes in the world and loves the art of food. She shares her opinions, recipes, and knows a lot about food going from the farm to the table. Check out her website for other great food ideas for the family.
What You Will Need:
2 cups fruit pulp (this recipe is for strawberry but you can try other fruits)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar (optional based on the sweetness of the fruit)
Plastic wrap/parchment paper/silicone mat
What You Will Do:
1. Preheat oven to 150-170 degrees. Begin by dicing the strawberries, then place them in a pot with a little bit of water and a squirt of lemon juice.
2. Stew the strawberries until they are very soft and mushy. While they stew line your baking sheet with the plastic wrap, then use your brush to coat the plastic in vegetable oil.
3. Now that the fruit has stewed transfer it to the blender. Purée. Taste, if it is too sour add some sugar to sweeten it. Do not add too much sugar because the fruit leather will sweeten naturally as it dries.
4. Pour the mixture onto the tray and coat it evenly. Place sheet in oven for 6-8 hours turning periodically to avoid scorching.
5. Allow to cool then score the leather with a knife and peel off. Now you can enjoy some healthy and inexpensive fruit rolls!