Summer is a great time to get outside and grill. The weather is great to be outside enjoying the outdoors, but it can also get really hot inside the house. Especially when you are cooking. So outdoor cooking is a relief to everyone. Cooking out can get monotonous, but grill meals don’t have to be boring. You can create more than just the average meal of burgers and dogs with a grill.
This month we want to share a fun and healthy outdoor grill meal that will wow everyone. Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs are a great addition to your summer grill list. Not only is it simple to create, it also combines healthy ingredients like fruit, veggies, and meat. Just follow this simple recipe to create this fantastic new dish. Do not be afraid to add in your favorite veggies!
What You Will Need:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 Tsp sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups (heaping) fresh cubed pineapple (about 3/4 of 3 lb pineapple)
- 1 1/2 large green peppers, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
What You Will Do:
1. In a mixing bowl whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Stir in 3/4 Tsp pepper and season with salt if desired. Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag. Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade in the refrigerator then pour remaining marinade over chicken. 2. Seal bag and refrigerate 1 – 2 hours (meanwhile soak 10 wooden skewer sticks in water for 1 hour).
3. Preheat a grill over medium heat to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over red onion, bell pepper, and pineapple and toss. Season red onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper, then thread red onion, bell pepper, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used. Brush grill grates with olive oil then place skewers on the grill.
4. Grill 5 minutes then brush along tops with 1/4 cup of remaining marinade. Rotate to opposite side and brush remaining 1/4 cup of the marinade on opposite side and allow to grill about 4 minutes longer, or until chicken registers, 165 degrees in the center on an instant read thermometer. Serve warm.