Summer is the perfect time to sit outside and enjoy the beauty of your yard. And speaking of beauty, why not add to your beautiful yard this week by creating a beautiful looking decoration that also creates its own beautiful music? A do it yourself wind chime is not only easy it is fun for little hands to help with.
This fun wind chime can be seen in this month’s Parents magazine and is truly a beauty. It can be created from things you have left over around the house. We all have bottle caps hanging around destined for our trash can, instead of trashing them stash them somewhere in preparation for this great craft. You can recycle as you create a gorgeous green decoration for your yard.
What You will Need:
- Bottle caps (if you don’t have any saved check out crown bottle caps, $3 to $4 for 50; amazon.com)
- outdoor craft paint
- fishing line, scissors
- tacky glue
- 4″-tall flowerpot (plastic or ceramic) with a hole in the bottom
- hot-glue gun
What You Will Do:
1. Make those mismatched bottle caps look a little more attractive by slapping some paint on them. You can do the same thing with the pot. Pick any color you want!
2. Cut seven 18″ pieces of fishing line then tie a bell to the end of each strand. This will weigh down each strand.
3. Put a dot of tacky glue on bottle cap and sandwich the fishing line with a button. Repeat five or six times per strand. Let dry.
4. Feed the ends of all strands through the holes of a large button (it must be bigger than the pot’s drainage hole) and secure with a knot about 4 1/2″ above the top bottle cap. Feed the strands up through the drainage hole.
5. So that the strands don’t cluster in the middle, hot-glue fishing line to the inside edge of the pot, evenly spaced around the circumference.
6. Tie another piece of fishing line in a tight knot to the top to hang.
Once your wind chime is dry it is ready to hang. Now you and your family can enjoy it for many summers to come!