My oldest has reached that dreaded age. The no nap age. Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal, but with a young one that needs to nap everyday it can be difficult to keep one happy and quiet while the other falls asleep and stays asleep. We have resorted to several different techniques for keeping the big kids quiet while the younger kids sleep.
Quiet time for kids tips:
- Finding separate spaces for each kid. If our youngest is asleep in our room or his room then older siblings must be in a separate room in order to avoid noise travel.
- Quiet toys/activities. Coloring, reading, puzzles, card games, board games.
- Try not to force the quiet time. If they make a little noise its alright. By setting too many limits it can make it difficult for kids to cooperate.
- Try playing something quiet with them in order to give them a little more one-on-one time and to help them transition to being quieter and calmer.
- make sure to keep it part of a normal routine. If it doesn’t happen at the exact same time everyday that is fine. Children are creatures of habit, so as long as things happen in the same order everyday they will grow used to it. So try to keep quiet time and the same point in your day, after lunch, or before dinner.
If you keep things simple and flexible it will be much easier for you and your kids to adjust to the new routine.